Monday 23 February 2015

Monday Flash Fic: The Proposal



The Proposal

“Just say yes.”

I stared into the eyes of the man kneeling in front of me and knew I didn’t imagine the depth of feeling I saw there.

“You are making this far more complicated than it needs to me.”

His voice was soft and insistent. As always, it felt like a caress against my skin. His question was all I’d hoped for and all I feared. I couldn’t bring myself to answer.

“I know what you’re thinking.” An edge of urgency crept into his voice. “And you’re right. There will be naysayers. People will frown, some may reject us, we may even encounter violence, but none of that matters. Those others have no meaning, their judgment doesn’t affect us. This is about you and me; about the love we feel for each other. We belong together. You know it. I know it. We can’t allow the rest of the world to stand between us.”

Looking at him I recognised the passion in his eyes and trusted the sincerity in his voice. Despite my reservations my heart stuttered at his words. I wanted to believe it was possible for the two of us to be happy together. All my dreams centred on him and me living happily as a couple, untroubled by doubts or the opinion of others. I couldn’t allow myself to believe what he proposed was possible in the real world. The subsequent heartache would be too much to bear.

“Say something. Don’t be cruel. I know you love me. Please. Just answer my question.” 

The pain in his expression as a result of my continued silence, was as real as his love for me had been only a few seconds ago. He moved and I knew he’d stand up and kill the moment unless I opened my mouth.

“Yes.” I whispered the word, compelled by a force beyond my control.

A smile stretched across his handsome face and he pulled at my hand until my fingers touched his mouth. The soft brush of his lips sent shivers down my spine.


“Cut” The director’s order came just in time for me. “Well acted. I’m going to have a look but I’d be surprised if we need a second take. That was beautiful enough to bring tears to my eyes. And I know the story.”

I looked away at the glorious sunset as I pulled Bruce up. Maybe he had acted well; there’d been no pretence involved on my part. If he asked me the question in real life I’d say yes in a heartbeat. But that was never going to happen. The actor who’d been my co-star in this series for the past three years - the man I loved - would never be as brave as the character he portrayed.
***

Thank you for reading my short story, I hope you enjoyed it. Don’t forget to look at the Monday Flash Fics group on Facebook where you’ll find other stories, inspired by the same picture.


I first saw this week's picture when James VanZant posted it on Facebook. He graciously allowed me to steal if for our flash fiction project. Thank you, James.

15 comments:

  1. Another unexpected ending. This story needs a happy ending, Helena. I think you really need to write more.. I'm now invested in their lives. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case I may actually revisit my two men at some point. I did feel a bit mean when I stopped writing. Hmmm, I'll play with the idea for a while.

      Delete
  2. Love it - of course I was picturing my boys until half way through. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never write about your boys. You do that far better than I ever could. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that wasn't what I was implying. I just saw them in everyone's story b/c the moment I saw this pic it was 'them' to me.

      Delete
  3. Terrific story! I agree with Ms Kari, more! No pressure :)
    Deedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deedles. I'll let the lads live in my head for a while and see if they want to tell me what happens next. If they do, I'll tell the rest of their story here.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic :) Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. These shorts really make me look forward to what you and Jaycee have concocted together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the world to meet those two men. I'm rather fond of them :)

      Delete
  6. Another wonderful story. I loved the twist at the end too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison. This one was fun to write.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, liked the twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Suzi. I'm so glad it worked :)

    ReplyDelete