Monday 25 August 2014

Linguistically Challenged Part Three: Mari Evans



Bio:

Mari Evans is a wife and the proud mother of a very active daughter, two dogs, and two cats. She’s a very social kind of girl, who loves to talk. It’s both her best and her worst quality.
From the moment she could read, she devoured books. Anything goes, as long as it has a happy ending.
There were always stories swirling around in her head, and as a child she liked to lie in bed and let the characters have their story and happy ending. It wasn’t until 2013 that she actually tried to put one of the whole stories down and submit it to a publisher. To her own surprise and excitement it was accepted. This gave her the drive to keep going.
The decision to write m/m was made when a friend told a story about a young gay man that struck a chord, even as her husband had already encouraged her to try it earlier.
Now she found her passion, having already found the love in her family and friends, her life is completely chaotic, crazy but wonderful.


The Questions:

-      What language do you speak most of the time?
Most of the time I speak Dutch, because I live in The Netherlands. I do chat a lot with friends and occasionally videochat in English.

-      What language do you think in?
Mostly Dutch, but lately more and more English slips in. Especially after I've been online for a while, or have been writing a lot.

-      What language do you dream in?
Dutch, I guess. I don't remember most of my dreams and if I do it's more the actions and emotions than the language.

-      What language do you swear in after you’ve really hurt yourself?
Both Dutch and English, hehehe. Swear words are mostly the same. Fuck and shit are very common here. Although I do have a few Dutch choice words.

-      What language are you most comfortable in?
Dutch...but English is a good runner-up.

-      How easy or difficult is it for you to switch from one language to the other?
Too easy probably, because I sometimes don't even notice it anymore. It's getting like a second nature. I do make a lot of grammar mistakes of course, but truthfully, in Dutch it's just as bad.

-      Does it affect you when you’re in a group where both languages are being spoken?
Nope, not at all. It used to, years ago, but not anymore. I guess because my thinking is starting to turn bilingual, it's getting really easy for me to follow all conversations even if I have to switch constantly.

-      Do you ever speak the ‘wrong’ language to someone?
God yes, all the time. When I chat online with people who speak both languages it's constantly switching from English to Dutch and back again. But when I talk to Dutch people I sometimes just don't remember the Dutch words and have to say them in English. It's a good thing most Dutch people know at least some English.
-
 -  Would you translate yourself from one language into the other or ask someone else (professional) to do it?
If I'm speaking in a mixed group of friends then, yes. Would I translate my own work? Hell no. Way too much work and confusing for my poor little brain.

-     If size of (potential) market wasn’t an issue what language would you be writing in?
Hmmmm tough question. I'd have to say both, because Dutch IS still easier for me to write, but English is way prettier to read and hear. So, both.


About Trusting Love:


“Laurie Stallon isn’t like other high schoolers. After suffering years of abuse at his father’s hands, he now lives in a foster care facility and finds solace volunteering at the local animal shelter. Laurie’s had to grow up fast, and even though his eighteenth birthday is still weeks away, he’s more adult than most adults he knows. When he meets Dr. Sam Davies, the new shelter veterinarian, the attraction is instant. They become friends at work, but Laurie knows Sam will never go for someone like him. No matter how Laurie tries to prove his maturity to Sam, Sam continues to reject him as too young.

Needing a distraction, Laurie goes out dancing for his birthday and finds his life in danger yet again. When Sam is called to the hospital, he realizes Laurie needs someone to care for him. Sam takes him home, and they slowly build a relationship. But more than their age difference works against them. Facing the disapproval of friends and the scars from Laurie's past, they'll need to put all their trust in love for a chance at a future together.”

For my review click here: Trusting Love

Buy links:







No comments:

Post a Comment