Sunday 10 August 2014

Panic-Stricken

Panic-Stricken


Welcome to the inaugural post on my brand new blog. As the title suggests, I’m less than sure about what I’m doing here so I hope you’ll bear with me while I try to figure it out.  

It seemed fairly simple when I decided that I would need a blog to go with the writing I’ve been trying my hand at. Other authors do it and I read their posts with interest, look forward to the next one and like having the opportunity to interact with them on a more personal level. So far so good.

Then I tried to figure out what I would be writing about in such a blog and immediately ran into doubts. Surely my life isn’t interesting enough to share with others. Why do I think anyone would be interested in my thoughts, feelings or the things that happen to me?

If I take people’s interest for granted (which would be rather presumptuous but I’ll run with it) I still have to figure out how much I can share without making myself (and possibly my readers) uncomfortable. I have no idea where the line between interesting and too much information lies and I’m afraid the only way of finding out may well be through trial and error. For everybody’s sake I hope I don’t err too often or too hard.

If the decision to have a blog took some thinking, the actual making of it took far more doing than I ever imagined. I’m not exactly what you would call computer literate. I have managed to get the hang of one or two basic skills in the past but my ignorance jumped to the fore when I tried to design The Way She Writes. In fact, I can safely say that if it hadn'’t been for the endless patience both my husband and Theo Fenraven showed, this blog wouldn’t exist or look the way it does.


So I guess I’m making all of you part of the ‘Helena blogs’ experiment. In fact, I would love it if you took an active part in proceedings. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. If there are things you would like to know, tell me. If you think I’m getting it horribly wrong I want to hear it too. In the meantime I hope all of us will have fun while I figure out what my life as a blogger looks like. 


10 comments:

  1. Good luck! I look forward to going through this adventure with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing. Testing. I love your new blog, your words and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you beautiful. Those sentiments are entirely mutual.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I'm so thrilled to find out about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy (it is Cindy, isn't it). I'm kinda thrilled myself. Scared but thrilled too.

      Delete
  4. My advice is to decide now what you will and won't share. You can blog about writing, about m/m, about LBGT issues, or about your everyday life, but decide in advance what's off-limits for you and stick with it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the advice Kate. I don't think anything is off limits as such. The question is how much detail I want to go into. I guess I'll find out while I'm writing. Other than that this is bound to be a mishmash of ideas, thoughts, opinions and experiences. My mind works in a mishmash sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and think you're off on an amazing journey. <3
    ~deidre

    ReplyDelete